Friday, October 4, 2013

It was the best of concerts, it was the worst

Because I was in the Air Force, I was stationed in a building and not on a base (The United States Air Force Satellite Test Center in Sunnyvale, California), so there was no housing.

Airmen had to live in the nearby communities. I split rent with a folk singing group named "Larry, Judy & Tom Tom". My military service was more like a standard job, working 5 days a week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Came home one afternoon and Larry Bishop asked if I would like to meet Peter, Paul & Mary that night. They were performing just south in San Jose.

"Sure, I said, but what do you mean 'meet' Peter, Paul & Mary instead of 'see' them perform or photograph them?"

"Mary Travers and I are were lovers from way back when I lived in Hawaii and even though eventually we split up, we've remained friends. She's invited me to come see them tonight and bring as many friends as I want."

I remember the exact date of the PP&M concert, June 5, 1968, well because towards the end of that concert Mary Travers brought their singing to a halt to announce that Sen. Robert Kennedy, then a presidential candidate, had just been shot in a hotel kitchen in Los Angeles.

This photograph of Peter, Paul and Mary is from two negatives printed at the same time, one lying on top of the other.

One image is a front view clearly showing all three and the second I took onstage with my camera stuck between where the curtains joined, showing just a white outline of their bodies as if it was a white pen and ink drawing on a black background.

You can acquire a copy of this photo, in any of a variety of formats, at my store.
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment