Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A strange gathering of musicians for a concert

When I photographed Buffy Sainte-Marie in San Francisco in 1970, it was one of the most unusual gathering of performers I can recall. I shot the concert for rock promoter Bill Graham. (More about my relationship with him here.)


In addition to Buffy, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and B.J. Thomas were on the ticket!

Berry, the father of rock & roll, was playing hard rock, with the only five chords he knew on his guitar, named Lucille.

Diddley was playing with his loud night-club rock style.

Buffy softly sang solo, occasionally playing her only instrument, a Native American one-string mouth hard.

And Thomas sang his gentle show-tune music.

To hear Chuck Berry  belting out "Roll Over Beethoven" while doing his famous "chicken walk," followed by B.J. Thomas singing "Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head" with the barroom ballads by Diddley (check out this song) and the soft singing of Buffy Sainte-Marie (here's "Circle Game," which charted in 1970) was an interesting concept to say the least.

You can purchase this photograph at my online store.

No comments:

Post a Comment