Saturday, September 21, 2013

Janis Joplin's last concert in San Francisco

Because of a relationship I had developed with rock music promoter Bill Graham (born Wolodia Grajonca; no extra charge for that trivia), I was asked (sort of) to photograph Janis Joplin.

I met Graham while standing in line at the Fillmore West in SF, a venue made famous by Graham. A man who was handing out fliers for upcoming concerts asked me why I had a camera with me since photography of concerts was not allowed. The man turned out to be Graham.

I told him, "Look, I don't use a flash because I know that can upset some performers and ifyou allow me to do photography, I'll send you copies of what I feel are my best photographs and you can use them for whatever you want."

He approved the idea and allowed me to bring my camera when I came up to concerts in San Francisco at the Fillmore West,  or at the Winterland Ballroom, which Graham rented for larger concerts.

I took this photo of Janis Joplin (1943-1961) at the Winterland on Oct. 5, 1969. It would be her last San Francisco concert. Although she had several concerts in other cities before she went to Los Angeles, where she would die the following year. (She died just 16 days before Jimi Hendrix. Both were 27.)

I feel this photograph really captures the strength and energy that she had while on stage.

You can buy a copy of this photography at my store at Fine Art America.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment